I am not quite sure how this word came into rejistanian, it is one ot the few words, which uses redublication for emphasis and it does follow my symbolism of using u in ‘bad’ words. It refers to the generic, scary, dangerous creature. Jadsujadsu’he’ny (‘he here because the myths tend to name them) tend to be horrible creatures who the gods send down to punish the evil ones or occasionally, just because. Or rather, the reasons remind of Fridge Logic (search ts on TVtropes.org if you do not know it and am aware that TVtropes is a horrible timesink. Bad enough that I will not link it directly).
Example: Jadsujadsu’het’ny sistenha’het’ra hame mi’la’ovik tisa’het sinu luru (monster system-LOC clean 3S-PST-eat clothing foor other: the monster in the washing machine ate the other sock) listen
BTW: #conlang discussed recording text in our conlangs and Uiri made a very naïve statement:
MalfermitaKodo: I calculated half an hour for one sentence when I started recording for the RWotD
Uiri: couldn’t you just read it off of the screen or something ?😛
Just a rough step by step plan of today’s sample:
1) “slani! Where is my headset‽”
2) “Ah, here!”
3) starting audacity
4) recording some garbage to test the setup, I forgot to switch the mic on a few times too often…
5) Works, delete the garbage-audiotrack without listening
6) start recording in earnest: press the record button…
7) switch window, gah, not THAT one, THIS one!
8) speak sentence
9) realize that you *bleep*ed up,
10) speak it again from the beginning
11) speak it again since the first time speaking the sentence has a horrible prosody
12) go back to audacity and stop the recording.
13) listen, to make sure that
Aja) it did not stop recording somewhere in the middle for unscrutable reasons
Ese) you did not *bleep* up the sounds too badly
Ili) you did not *bleep* up the stress too badly
Omo) you did not *bleep* up the prosody too badly
Unu) you did not *bleep* up by breathing audibly into the mic
Y) you did not *bleep* up by ommitting suffixes (I kept saying “sistenha’ra” which is grammatically correct, just not part of the example sentence)
Hi) you did not *bleep* up of speaking too quiet
Je) you did not *bleep* up in a different manner
14) delete the audiotrack, if anything in 13 applied, goto 6
15) If none of the criteria in 13 applied, undo it because for some odd reason audacity froze when playing and deleting the audiotrack and restoring it via undo makes audacity work again*.
16) select some noise, you know, like from the time you looked for the right window. open the noise removal plugin, select get noise profile
17) select the entire thing and re-run the plugin
18) select Amplify, use its presets
19) cut the noise and the misrecorded stuff
20) Okay, now save the thing, thus click, no, NOT save but export, click away a probably occasionally useful but in my case annoying metatitle dialog, select a filename (wav because the program does not recognize an installed lame), click okay
21) Close audacity, no, you do NOT want to save because you did just do this very thing!
22) cd ~/mystuff/rejistanian/freesqueak ; lame jadsujadsu.wav** ; music123 jadsujadsu.wav.mp3
23) upload it via scp. scp rocks!
24) insert the link into the blog-posting
Seriously, reading off a screen is not the issue when speaking a conlang. Maybe think of a first-grader who just learns to read and how he sounds. This is how a conlanger who speaks his ‘lang for the first time sounds, Just worse! One of the issues are the sounds which do not occur in the native language. Even innocent words can cause problems, in my case for example the word ‘require’, which I always pronounce incorrectly. Another, worse issue is the prosody. Rejistanian stacks adjectives and things which behave like adjectives onto each other. But this means they must be grouped and distinguished in speech. Tisa’het sinu luru has 2 parts: tisa’het sinu, or in english: sock and luru: other. This must be accounted for in speech. And it is not easy to get that right. If you do not believe me, translate the grandfather text into your conlang, record it and send me the unedited first attempt.
*I exaggerated the frequency of this happening because it POs me.
** various parameters ommitted here